â€śBilly, Iâ€™ve killed your mother.â€ť – Albert Devine, to his son. 1925 The Hudson Valley is drenched in history, culture and blood. In the fall of 1893, Lizzie Halliday left a trail of bodies in her wake, slaughtering two strangers and her husband before stabbing a nurse to death at the asylum housing her. A Jazz Age politician, tired of fighting with his overbearing wife, murdered her and buried the body under the front porch. In 1882, a cantankerous old miner, dubbed the â€śAusterlitz Cannibalâ€ť by the press, chopped up his partner before he himself swung from the end of a rope. Author Andrew Amelinckx dredges up the Hudson Valleyâ€™s dark past, from Prohibition-era shootouts to unsolved murders, in eleven heart-pounding true stories.
Author: Andrew Amelinckx
Published by The History Press (June 26, 2017)
Read about remarkable people
who shaped the town, the state, the nation
and called Esopus home.
Our Current Exhibit
See the broad range of exhibit topics from recent years presented to convey the richness of Esopus history.Read More
Esopus HistoryOver 550 years of rich history along the Hudson River
The Esopus Indians live in the area. Esopus means "land of flowing water and high banks." In 1540, the French construct a trading post south of Albany.
1609 - Henry Hudson sails up the Hudson River. In his Captain's log he describes the Esopus area as "faire" land. 1615 - The New Netherlands Company receives its o
1651 - The area south of the Rondout Creek is first called Klyne Esopus, Dutch for "Little" Esopus. A trapper named Kit Davis lives in what is now the hamlet of Connelly along the Ron
1700's - Building starts on permanent homesteads using field stone found in abundance in Ulster County. Many of these early houses are still standing today. The Van Vliet Homestead, a
1776 - 1783 - A stone house, built above what will become Elmoreâ€™s Landing on the Hudson River, becomes an Inn. During the American War for Independence British officers party there
1811 - The Town of Esopus is formed. The area has previously been part of the Town of Kingston. 1814 - Esopus establishes a system of public school districts.
1851 - The Pennsylvania Coal Company builds a coal depot near the mouth of the Rondout Creek. The town of Port Ewen, named after John Ewen, the Company President, is laid out.
1877 - A gold mine is established on Hussey Hill. The vein dwindles after only a-year-and-a-half. 1883 - The West Shore Railroad (seen here in photo of railroa
1901 - Rifton gathers the hamlets of Swartekill, Rifton Glen, and Dashville to become a village. 1904 - Judge Alton B. Parker accepts the nomination to be the
1953 - The Port Ewen School opens on Clay Road. It is later named Mt. View School and finally, in 1978, it is named the Robert Graves School in honor of its long-time principal.