2013 Exhibit: The Civil War 1863
- Home >
- 2013 Exhibit: The Civil War 1863
City of Kingston
City Hall, Broadway
â€śDedicated to the Soldiers and Sailors of the County of Ulster who have served in the War for the Union 1861 â€“ 1865.â€ť
This impressive monument, created in 1890, bears a marble figure of Liberty, garbed in robes at its top. Around the sides of the granite plinth are two bronze figures â€“ a Union soldier and a sailor.
The sculptor was Caspar Burberl, a Civil War Veteran and a resident of Rondout.
Old Dutch Cemetery
Main and Wall Streets
â€śTo the undying renown of the Rank and File of the 120th Infantry of the New York Volunteers, one of three hundred fighting regiments in the War for the Union by the Colonel of the Regiment, 1896.â€ť
This memorial was erected by General George Sharp to his men. The bronze figure, representing Patriotism and draped in classical robes, clasps Old Glory to her bosom.
The artist was B.S. Pickett.
Photo by Joshua Trupin.
Foot of Broadway
â€ś20th New York State Militia
[80th N.Y. Vol.]
â€śThis regiment, composed of men from Ulster and Greene Counties, was the first local unit to leave the state for war. The Ulster Guard was one of the top 300 fighting regiments of the Union Army.â€ť
This monument was erected in 1988. Carved on the back is the â€śRed Hand of Ulster,â€ť the ancient symbol of the Irish province of Ulster and of early Ulster County.
Route 9W & Milton Ave.
â€śTo the memory of the Brave and Patriotic Men of this Regiment Who Served Their Country Faithfully in the Third Brigade, Second division 19th Army Corps. 1862-1865.
This Monument erected by Their Comrade and Friend. September 19, 1908.â€ť
This imposing granite was erected by Aaron Rhoads to honor the 156th Regiment NYSV and in memory of his brother, Theodore. The 6 foot statue is made of sheet bronze, entitled â€śThe Color Bearer.â€ť It was made by the H. Mullins Co. of Salem, Ohio. Originally, it had a seated eagle at the top of the flag staff. The regiment was known as â€śthe Mountain Eaglesâ€ť and had as its mascot a live eagle which it carried into battle.
Lloyd Rural Cemetery (Highland Cemetery)
Vinyard Ave., Highland
â€śErected by the Ladies Association of Highland in Memory of the Brave Soldiers of the Town of Lloyd, NY Who Sacrificed Their Lives in Suppressing the Rebellion of the Southern States.â€ť
â€śHonor To Whom Honor Is Dueâ€ť
The slender marble obelisk, dating from 1869, is the first Civil War monument to be erected in Ulster County.
New Paltz Rural Cemetery, Plains Road
An obelisk of Quincy granite was erected in 1870 to commemorate the New Paltz Civil War dead. It was made by the firm of Miller & Van Wyke of Poughkeepsie. At the base of the shaft, three sides contain the names of 29 men who died during the war and shortly thereafter.
In later years it became a gathering point for members of the local GAR post on Decoration Day, now called Memorial Day. The GAR stands for Grand Army of the Republic â€“ an organization of Union veterans of the Civil War that worked to increase pensions, assisted war widows and orphans and maintained homes for old soldiers.
Donlon Park, Partition Street
â€śErected in memory of the Soldiers and Sailors of the Town of Saugerties.
With Malice Towards None and Charity for All.â€ť
This monument commemorates a different battle on each of its four sides:
It was erected in 1904 by Alfred Lasher. The soldier atop the monument was made of sheet bronze by the Monumental Bronze Co. of Bridgeport, CT. The plinth has handsome portraits of military leaders and President Lincoln.
Fantinekill Cemetery, Route 209
SOLDIERâ€™S AND SAILORâ€™S MONUMENT
â€śDedicated to the Soldiers and Sailors of the Town of Warwarsing in grateful recognition of their services and sacrifices in Defense of the Union 1861-1865.â€ť
This shaft of native white Shawangunk stone was erected in 1906 by James Van Etten who supplied the stone for the shaft, platform and foundation. The bronze plaque was cast by Paul Cabaret & Co. of Poughkeepsie. The total cost was $972.