Klyne Esopus Museum

To preserve,interpret and disseminate the history of the Town of Esopus

Famous Esopians

Read about famous people
who shaped important
events in our nation
and called Esopus home.

Read More

Our Current Exhibit

See the broad range of exhibit topics from recent years presented to convey the richness of Esopus history.

Read More

Esopus History

Over 550 years of rich history along the Hudson River
  • Native Americans – 1540

    The Esopus Indians live in the area. Esopus means "land of flowing water and high banks." In 1540, the French construct a trading post south of Albany.

  • 1600-1649

    1609 - Henry Hudson sails up the Hudson River. In his Captain's log he describes the Esopus area as "faire" land. 1615 - The New Netherlands Company receives its o

  • 1650-1699

    1651 - The area south of the Rondout Creek is first called Klyne Esopus, Dutch for "Little" Esopus. A trapper named Kit Davis lives in what is now the hamlet of Connelly along the Ron

  • 1700-1749

    1700's - Building starts on permanent homesteads using field stone found in abundance in Ulster County. Many of these early houses are still standing today. The Van Vliet Homestead, a

  • 1750 – 1799

    1776 - 1783 - A stone house, built above what will become Elmoreā€™s Landing on the Hudson River, becomes an Inn. During the American War for Independence British officers party there

  • 1800-1849

    1811 - The Town of Esopus is formed. The area has previously been part of the Town of Kingston. 1814 - Esopus establishes a system of public school districts.

  • 1850 – 1874

    1851 - The Pennsylvania Coal Company builds a coal depot near the mouth of the Rondout Creek. The town of Port Ewen, named after John Ewen, the Company President, is laid out.

  • 1875-1899

    1877 - A gold mine is established on Hussey Hill. The vein dwindles after only a-year-and-a-half. 1883 - The West Shore Railroad (seen here in photo of railroa

  • 1900-1949

    1901 - Rifton gathers the hamlets of Swartekill, Rifton Glen, and Dashville to become a village. 1904 - Judge Alton B. Parker accepts the nomination to be the

  • 1950-1986

    1953 - The Port Ewen School opens on Clay Road. It is later named Mt. View School and finally, in 1978, it is named the Robert Graves School in honor of its long-time principal.